Q & A: Part Two

Here’s part two of answering some questions we’ve received with our news of expecting our second child through our first pregnancy. If anything, this is a great journal for my own keeping. Hope you enjoy!

Q: How did you find out?

A: I can tell you it wasn’t anything like I had imagined this news ever being discovered! I had imagined that I’d be surprised someday in a doctor’s office with them saying, “Well, we have a question to ask you: did you know you were pregnant?” I had imagined that this event would cause the look of both shock and joy to spread across my face. I actually wasn’t too far off from that happening!

Going back to the above early symptoms (before 8 weeks) up until Sunday, June 1, I had thought something was seriously wrong. I had discovered a cyst in March that seemed hemorrhagic in nature. Having dealt with that (painful beast) before, I had the doctor fit me in that day. (The risk of these cysts leading to ovarian torsion and organ death is scary, so I knew it needed to be checked out.) They discovered on the ultrasound that this same problematic ovary, as in the past, indeed had a cyst the size of my ovary itself. I felt I could manage pain at home in hopes that it shrunk on its own. My GYN encouraged me that should the pain return, I head directly to the ER. I knew the signs to look for and promised I would be a vigilant patient.

I had the cyst rechecked via ultrasound after six-weeks (mid to late April) and they found it had shrunk some, just not as much as they’d hoped. Again, it was a wait and see thing since the pain hadn’t gotten worse.

For the two weeks leading up to June 1, I considered all my symptoms to be isolated from the others. I could attribute the uterine cramping to a cycle approaching or to the cyst pain. I could consider the tiredness a sign of dealing with lingering allergies. The smell and food aversion was just random and not worrisome. But, non of it was improving, so we both figured I needed to be checked out again. I knew that the doctor’s office would ask the standard questions I’ve heard for fourteen years when calling about a possible gynecological health issue: date of last cycle? and have you taken a pregnancy test? I decided that I was going to be seen the next day, Monday, and that I’d have their questions answered so they could whisk me in there to determine the issue. I was sure that another negative pregnancy test would indicate, like all the hundreds of hundreds had before the past 14 years, that the issue was much more serious.

I found an older EPT test under my sink, still within expiration date, and commenced to tinkling in a cup. Cap off, insert test, count to twenty, replace cap, and wait. Only, there wasn’t much waiting. I had overheard friends mention before that positive tests usually appear quite fast. This one showed a plus sign in the blink of an eye! Then I checked the expiration date again. And I determined the cup I collected the sample in must have been filthy. Then I convinced myself this horrible cyst was allowing a false positive. But then, I felt like throwing up.

I made an excuse to run to the store for some ginger ale. My husband had intended to bring some home earlier, but it slipped his mind. So, off I went to the pharmacy and the grocery store. I was sure to pick up two different brands of tests and wanted one that at least said the word ‘pregnant.’ I was out of luck going to the grocery store to get ginger ale. Sadly, the soda aisle dead ends at the seafood counter and that particular day, the smell was off putting (yet another clue!) So, I left that aisle and purchased more buttermilk. What else, right?!

Upon coming home, I dashed upstairs to take the two tests. My husband was on the deck grilling lunch. (It smelled horrible … just saying!) I grabbed a brand-new, out of the sleeve Solo cup this time and had just enough in my bladder to offer up for the tests. The non-digital test appeared positive as quick as the earlier one. Two out of three! The digital test made me wait the full two-minutes with this blinking hourglass symbol. WAIT! Oh, I’ve waited 14 years, guess another 90 seconds can’t hurt, but it seriously took forever! Then the last hourglass blinked and next it revealed the word: PREGNANT.


The next day, Monday, June 2, I made that phone call to the doctor, only this time I nervously said, ‘I’ve taken three tests that all show positive. Um, am I pregnant? Could it be false?’ My doctor had me come in immediately as she was quite excited. (She practices solely GYN and particularly specializes in PCOS patients. It’s not every day that one of her PCOS patients has the extreme blessing of being told they are expecting a baby!) Their urine and blood test all confirmed the same thing. I knew the Physician Assistant that saw me that day could tell I was still in shock. She stated that she was a pro choice provider and she started discussing with me the safety and confidentiality I would have if I chose to research my options since this appeared to be something ‘unplanned’.

No, no, no, no. No! NO! NO! Oh, I’m shocked alright, but GOOD shocked! Good surprised! No discussion of options needed here. Thanks for being concerned, but this has just been a long hoped for dream, hence the surprised and albeit still questioning look on my face.

Q: How did you tell your husband?

A: After seeing the third test result flip from a blinking hourglass symbol to the word ‘PREGNANT’, I was immediately startled by the bathroom door flying open. My husband was on the other side. Guess I didn’t lock it, huh? He came to check on me to see if I was feeling better. The look of shock and nervousness must have answered his question. I looked like I could throw up, again! I told him in a very short, jumbled get-out-of-here way to, well … ‘I’m fine! Leave. Get out of here!’ One beat passed and I realized how awful that sounded and I grabbed his arm and said, ‘No, wait! Stay. Look at this!’ Before I stepped away from the counter littered with THREE positive tests, their boxes and instructions, I said, “I always thought I’d be way more Pinterest-y cute about this, but I kind of don’t know what to think. … Check this out.”

I watched him look at all three tests, look at them again, glance back at me with his two eyebrows nearly touching, arched in silent question, then looked back again at the tests. “Is this for real? Did you take these?”


And then his strong arms pulled me into his chest. We embraced, cried the kind of cry where you can’t make any noise, and kept at it. Our daughter walked upstairs looking for us, found us hugging, and as usual, she declared, “Make room for me guys! I’m coming in!”

She didn’t realize until our hug circle broke that we both had tears in our eyes and running down our faces. She asked what was wrong and we both comforted her by saying they were happy tears. We didn’t tell her until three days later.

Q: How did your daughter and family respond?

A: That’s a question for a different post! We actually have video and if I can convince my husband to edit them together, I’d love to share that with you! It was so much fun, though! We knew everyone would be as shocked and as in awe as we were. By far, our daughter’s reaction was the best!


2 thoughts on “Q & A: Part Two

  1. Elaine says:

    I do so love these updates, so keep them coming!! We have kept a ” pregnancy prayer list” for several years and you and Eric are at the top of it now!!! Love you.

    • Julie says:

      Thank you, Elaine! We feel so mightily blessed to be experiencing this … not disbelief … but still in awestruck wonder! I love you, my friend! xoxo

Give me your thoughts!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s